Title: Party Animals mixed by Marco Carola & Nick Curly
Artist: Various Artists
Label: Cocoon Recordings
For the fourth year running Cocoon Recordings gives a forecast on the upcoming Ibiza Season with the latest in its Summer Mix series. After having such renowned DJs as Dubfire, Loco Dice, André Galluzzi and Chris Tietjen, the Cocoon team were able to play another well-known DJ ace from their sleeve: Marco Carola. The Naples-born DJ/Producer brought Italy onto the map of uncompromising Techno with his strictly ltd edition releases during the Nineties, but is also one of the protagonists of the breakthrough of reduced Techno-Funk, having released on Richie Hawtin’s Plus 8 label and his own platform Domestic.Minimal.Noise over recent years.
With his mix, Carola illustrates the perfect party night on Amnesia’s main floor in a sultrily and percussive yet always sexy and elegant form of Minimal Funk. In particular, Marco Carola gives a major platform to breakthrough artists, like the Spaniard Kobaalt or the Reisak Corporation from Venice. The mix builds with a constant intensity and his finale has you ready to throw your arms in the air with some familiar tracks by Martin Buttrich (“Hoochie Mama”) and Layo & Bushwacka (“The Longest Day”, highlighted here through the Audiofly remix).
The second disc is taken up by the superb Nick Curly from Mannheim. Curly has already proved himself with his productions for Plastic City, 8 Bit and Cocoon as well as his own label Cécille Records, which he runs together with Marc Scholl, he is a DJ who stands for the powerful rejuvenation of deep House and his passion for this comes out in everything he does. With his impressively energetic set, Curly demonstrates that soulful vocals and solid, hypnotic house make great bedfellows.
From the off the mix displays the depth of character in Curly’s selection from the percussive Power House of “Get Your Space” by producer team Phil Weeks vs. Krakatoa through the jazziness of Gorge (“Makena”) and onto the dubby excursion of Horacio (“Taberna del Funk”) there is a wealth of quality on offer here. Butch’s wildpitch style ‘No Worries’ and Curly’s own brand of new disco funk on offer in ‘Keep On’ further add to richness of the mix and by the time you reach the closing bars of Burridge and Dekay’s ‘Wongel’ it is clear to see why Cocoon were so keen to have Curly onboard.
Cocoon have been instrumental in the Ibiza season for over a decade now and this is yet another marker of their constant importance and relevance. It’s also a damn good compilation!
Tracklisting Disc 1 – mixed by Marco Carola
1. Someone Else – Zebra Talk den Remix
2. Kobaalt – Mini
3. Miguel Colmenares – Into Something (Furr & Hazendonk’s Sweaty Bottom Workout)
4. Miyagi & Ronald Christoph – No Fashion
5. Remerc- Tiny Calf
6. Matteo Milleri & Karm – Grubjo
7. David K feat. Francesco Farfa – Chabada Bada
8. Coletone – Suicide Birds
9. Gabe & D-Nox – Little Patience
10. Joseph Capriati – Tapa Boca
11. Tale of Us – Zarangi
12. Ittetsu & Jun Akimoto – Iron Troops (Room 10′s Oyako-Don Rmx)
13. Reisak Corporation – Dosson Creek (Re Up Rmx)
14. Martin Buttrich – Hoochie Mama
15. Youandewan – Movin
16. Layo & Bushwacka – The Longest Day (Audiofly Rmx)
Tracklisting Disc 1 – mixed by Nick Curly
1. Michi Vajna – Drosophila’s Flight
2. Phil Weeks vs. Krakatoa – Get Your Space
3. Gorge – Makena
4. Horacio – Taberna del Funk
5. Mihai Popoviciu – Telematiks
6. Ryan Crosson & Guti – You’ve Got Me
7. Sascha Dive – Kama Kama
8. Daniel Stefanik – Just One Moment
9. Butch – No Worries
10. Lauhaus – Bring it
11. Nick Curly – Pujante
12. Remerc – Vilassar
13. Anthea & Celler – House Nation
14. Julian Chaptal – Rubix
15. Nick Curly – Keep On
16. Mark Broom – Supersnout (Tim Green Rmx)
17. Peace Division – Hold It
18. Francisco Allendes & Marcelo Rosselot – El Ladron de Mails
19. Markus Fix – The dark side of Bo
20. Lee Burridge & Matthew Dekay – Wongel
LABEL: Cocoon Recordings
LABEL LINK: http://www.cocoon.net/recordings/recordings.htmlShare
This post was submitted by CassandraM.